Grilled Curried Tofu with Sweet & Spicy Tamarind Chutney
Seasoned with curry powder and served with a sweet, spicy and tangy chutney, this tofu dish is filling and refreshing.
- 1 cup tamarind concentrate, (see Note)
- 10 small dates, (about 2 1/2 ounces), pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup, (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Pinch-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 2 14-ounce containers water-packed firm or extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat grill to high.
- Blend tamarind concentrate, dates, agave syrup, ginger, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cayenne (if using) in a blender until smooth.
- Cut each block of tofu crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slices. Lightly brush each slice with oil and season on both sides with a light sprinkle of curry powder, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the tofu slices until golden and heated through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Serve hot with the tamarind chutney for dipping.
Calories: 211, Carbohydrates: 33 g., Fat: 6 mg., Saturated Fat: 1 mg., Monounsaturated Fat: 2 mg., Protein: 9 mg., Cholesterol: 0 g., Fiber: 3 g., Postassium: mg., Sodium: 158 mg., Added Sugars: 0 mg.