Green Enchilada Pie
Layered like lasagna, this enchilada casserole is easy and delicious. Great with a side of rice and a dollop of guacamole.
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 6 ounces sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 bunch scallions, diced
- 1/2 pound cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor or with a stick blender, puree the soup, green chilies, spinach, cumin, cilantro, sour cream, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Assemble the enchilada pie in an oiled 12-inch cast iron skillet or oven-proof casserole dish as follows:
- Layer one cup of the soup mixture on the bottom of the pan.
- Place 3 corn tortillas on top of the mixture and sprinkle with 1/4 of the shredded cheese and 1/3 of the scallions.
- Repeat the process with two more layers of soup mixture, tortillas, cheese, and scallions.
- For the top layer, place the last 3 tortillas, the last of the soup mixture, and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. The sauce will be bubbly and the cheese golden brown. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Serve with Mexican or Spanish rice, guacamole and tortilla chips or jicama coleslaw.
281 calories, 17 g. fat, 40 mg. cholesterol, 23 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. dietary fiber, 11 g. protein, 478 mg. sodium