French Leek Pie with Gruyere Cheese
This savory tart is perfect for lunch or brunch. It's simple to make and is easily varied with a few ingredient swaps.
- 1 9-inch prepared pie crust
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 leeks, trimmed, cleaned and sliced in 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 1/2 to 4 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prick the pie crust several times with a fork and prebake the pie crust for 12-15 minutes. Let the crust cool before filling.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the leeks for 5-6 minutes. Add the tarragon, water and a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté another 5 minutes until the leeks are tender. Remove from heat and stir in the half and half and shredded cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste, and then pour the mixture into the prebaked pie shell. Bake the pie for 40-50 minutes. Let the pie sit for 15 minutes before slicing.
This thin savory tart, accompanied by potato leek soup (a great way to use the rest of the bunch of leeks) or a salad, makes a delicious weekend brunch or lunch. For an easy variation, try adding crumbled cooked bacon, layer in some tomatoes and use shredded Mozzarella in place of the Gruyere.
Calories: 409, Fat: 27 g, Cholesterol: 57 mg, Sodium: 278 mg, Carbohydrate: 27 g, Dietary Fiber: 2 g, Protein: 15 g