This traditional Middle Eastern salad is a refreshing side for grilled lemon chicken, lamb or kebabs.
- 1/2 pound romaine lettuce, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cucumber, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 3 scallions, diced
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 pita bread, toasted and broken into bite-sized pieces
- In a large salad bowl, gently toss the romaine, cucumber, tomato, scallions, parsley and mint.
- In a small bowl, mix together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and a pinch each of salt and black pepper. Toss the salad with some of the dressing, add the pita pieces and mix gently. Taste and add more dressing as needed.
This traditional Middle Eastern salad goes well with many Mediterranean-inspired dishes, like lentil soup, lemon chicken, lamb dishes or kebabs. Add chunks of feta cheese or Kalamata olives to add more complex flavors and serve with lemon wedges.
120 calories, 7 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 69 mg. sodium, 13 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 3 g. protein