Farm Animal Muffins
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 12 muffins
These whole wheat farm animal muffins make a great afternoon or party snack for kids!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 green apples, finely diced
- red apple (or peach)
- dried mango
- natural red and black licorice
- dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Put paper liners in the muffin tin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter, egg, milk, applesauce, oil, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Gently stir in the diced apples.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin cups. Fill them about two-thirds full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Cut two slivers from the raisins for nostrils. Put them on top of the nose.
- Cut two small triangles out of the dried mango for the ears. Stick the ears between the muffin and the paper liner.
- Cut a small triangle out of the dried mango for the beak. Put it in the center of the muffin.
- Cut a raisin in half. Put them above the beak for the eyes.
- Take a 1-inch piece of red licorice and cut it lengthwise into six thin strips. Use a toothpick to make six holes above the eyes. Stick a licorice strip into each hole.
- Put a dried cranberry in the center of the muffin for the nose.
- Take a 1-inch piece of black licorice and cut it lengthwise into six thin strips. Arrange the licorice strips around the nose for whiskers.
- Cut a blueberry in half. Put the blueberry halves above the nose for eyes.
- Cut two triangles from the outer edge of the apple for ears. Stick the ears between the muffin and the paper liner.
172 calories, 6 g. fat, 28 mg. cholesterol, 206 mg. sodium, 27 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 3 g. protein