Eggs in a Basket
Total Time:30 minutes
Nestled in a whole wheat bread slice, these simple and delicious baked eggs make a delightful breakfast or brunch.
- 1/3 pound ground breakfast sausage
- I tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 4 large eggs
- Black pepper
- 4 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a small skillet, cook the sausage and set aside to drain on paper towels. Liberally butter 4 cups of a standard muffin pan.
- Cut each slice of bread into a 4-inch square, removing the crust. Gently press one slice into each of the 4 buttered cups in the pan to make a bowl shape. Add one teaspoon of cooked sausage to each bread bowl. Crack an egg into each, and sprinkle lightly with pepper. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the whites are no longer translucent and the eggs are becoming firm. Top each egg with remaining cooked sausage and the cheddar cheese and bake another 2 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool a few minutes and lift out gently using a fork. Garnish with minced chives and serve.
Experiment with your favorite flavor combinations in this versatile brunch dish. Try diced jalapeño peppers with Mexican cheeses and picante sauce; minced prosciutto and Gruyere cheese; or tomatoes and fresh herbs. The baskets can be cooked for a shorter or longer time depending on whether you prefer a runny or set yolk.
255 calories, 15 g. fat, 243 mg. cholesterol, 487 mg. sodium, 12 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 17 g. protein