Creamy Carrot and Coconut Milk Soup with Thai Red Curry
Total Time:40 minutes
This soup is filled with the sweet flavor of carrots. Thai curries are chile paste blends, so their flavors are complex and spicy. Use a little or a lot depending on your preference.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 7 to 8 carrots, scrubbed and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup tamari
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
- In a heavy soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and sauté garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Add broth and carrots and simmer until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and then puree mixture in batches in a blender or food processor. (You may also use an immersion blender directly in the pot.)
- Return pureed carrot mixture to the pot. Add curry paste, chili sauce, tamari and black pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in coconut milk, cilantro and lime juice. Adjust seasonings with more curry paste or tamari.
- Serve drizzled with a bit of coconut milk and lime wedges on the side.
Recipe modified with permission from PCC Natural Markets.
Calories: 307, Fat: 11 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 819 mg, Carbohydrate: 26 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Protein: 3 g