Couscous with Feta and Toasted Pine Nuts
This delicious couscous is accented by toasted pine nuts, peppery watercress and savory feta cheese.
- 2 cups couscous (use whole wheat couscous for a whole grain version)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup vegetable powder
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 ounce watercress, chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled or cubed
- Dissolve vegetable powder into boiling water in a medium bowl. Add couscous. Stir, cover, and let stand 10 minutes, or until all water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice and pour over couscous.
- Add tomatoes, scallions, watercress, pine nuts, and feta cheese to couscous, and stir to combine.
Serve chilled or at room temperature, garnished with pine nuts or watercress.
392 calories, 16 g. fat, 10 mg. cholesterol, 256 mg. sodium, 53 g. carbohydrate, 5 g. fiber, 11 g. protein