Coconut Tangerine Salad
Savor this bright, simple salad featuring tangerines, shredded coconut, toasted almonds and a simple vinaigrette.
- 3 tangerines
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 cups green leaf or romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted, shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup toasted, sliced almonds
Halve and juice one of the tangerines, and peel and segment the other two. For the dressing, stir together tangerine juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss dressing with lettuce, tangerine segments and cucumber in a large bowl. Top with shredded coconut and toasted almonds and serve immediately.
A delicious side salad becomes a main meal with the addition of cooked shrimp or salmon. Substitute toasted peanuts for the almonds if you like, and garnish with pomegranate seeds for even more color and zip.
210 calories, 16 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 10 mg. sodium, 14 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 5 g. protein