Classic Chopped Salad
A delicious salad that's healthy and satisfying.
- 9 ounces romaine lettuce hearts, washed and chopped
- 1 large cucumber seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small red bell pepper cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup pitted black olives, whole or halved
- 1 large tomato cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 small red onion cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 pound fresh mozzarella or feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 lemons, juiced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh herbs (try basil, mint, oregano, or a mix), minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- The keys to a successful chopped salad: chop all the ingredients to approximately the same size; make sure your lettuce is not wet; then dress all the ingredients together before serving so each forkful is perfectly seasoned!
- In a large salad bowl, gently toss the prepared romaine, cucumber, bell pepper, black olives, tomato, red onion, and cheese with the dressing. Taste for salt and pepper, then garnish as you wish.
Serve this salad with fresh, crusty artisan bread. Add your favorite ingredients to make the salad your own, like hardboiled egg, salami, cooked chicken or additional fresh vegetables.
Calories: 162, Fat: 9 g, Cholesterol: 20 mg, Sodium: 179 mg, Carbohydrate: 17 g, Dietary Fiber: 6 g, Protein: 8 g