Total Time:1 1/4 hours
Servings:10, about 2 3/4 cups each
A fish stew originally made on fishing boats with the catch of the day by Italian fishermen who settled in San Francisco.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2/3 cup chopped celery, or fennel
- 6 cups fish stock
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled or diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups light- to medium-bodied red wine, such as Pinot Noir or Merlot
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 5 thick slices sourdough bread, halved
- 2 tablespoons garlic-flavored olive oil
- 2 pounds shellfish, such as oysters, mussels and/or clams
- 1 pound dry sea scallops
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 2- to 3-pound Dungeness crab, steamed, cleaned and cut into sections, or 8 ounces lump crabmeat, drained, any shells removed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil and/or parsley
- Heat oil in a large, deep soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat; add onions, garlic, and celery (or fennel). Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are lightly browned, 7 to 9 minutes. Add stock, tomatoes, wine, bay leaves, oregano, fennel seed and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered, for 20 minutes. Strain, discarding solids, and return the broth to the pot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, brush bread with garlic oil. Toast in a toaster oven or under the broiler until golden brown.
- Bring the broth to a gentle boil. Add shellfish, scallops and shrimp and cook, gently stirring, until the shellfish just begin to open and the shrimp are no longer opaque, about 4 minutes. Add crab, cover and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Discard any unopened shellfish.
- To serve, place a slice of toasted bread in the bottom of each soup bowl and ladle the cioppino over it. Sprinkle with basil (and/or parsley).
377 calories, 11 g. fat, 112 mg. cholesterol, 691 mg. sodium, 23 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 20 g. protein, 0 g added sugars