Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding
This scrumptious bread pudding recipe is easy to make and even easier to fall in love with.
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 4-5 cups stale French bread, cut into 1/2- to 1-inch cubes
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (or roughly-chopped chocolate)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Use melted butter to grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, rum, vanilla and salt. Add the cubed bread and toss gently to coat. Gently stir in the bananas and chocolate chips. Pour into the casserole dish and sprinkle brown sugar and pecans evenly over the top. Let the pudding sit for 20 minutes in the refrigerator, then bake for 40 minutes. The pudding is done when the edges start to brown and pull away from the sides of the pan. Slice into 2” x 3” rectangles, and serve hot.
This sweet treat was originally developed to celebrate Fair Trade Month (October), so be sure to use Fair Trade bananas and other ingredients where available. Add Kahlua instead of rum, or try substituting apples, raisins and a dash of cinnamon for the bananas and chocolate.
205 calories, 4 g. fat, 53 mg. cholesterol, 140 mg. sodium, 31 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 5 g. protein