Chilled Summer Borscht
Total Time:2 to 3 hours; 25 minutes active
Who can possibly resist the brilliant, gem-like tones of this classic soup? Beyond its visual appeal are the honey-and-spice notes of fresh summer beets infused with tangy-sweet balsamic vinegar, cracked pepper and fresh dill.
- 6 to 8 baby beets
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 small celery root, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Wrap the beets in foil and bake them at 400° F for 1 hour or until fork tender. Cool and slip off the skins; coarsely chop.
- In a heavy pot, heat oil or butter and sauté onions, celery root and garlic for 5 minutes or until onions are tender and lightly golden. Stir in tomato paste and sugar and cook for 1 minute more. Add beets, broth, vinegar and dill. Cook for 5 minutes, to meld the flavors. Season well with salt and pepper. Allow to cool, then puree in batches until smooth. Add more broth if it is too thick. Chill completely.
- Serve garnished with sour cream, if using, and dill sprigs and pass the pepper mill.
Recipe modified with permission from PCC Natural Markets.
282 calories, 11 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 483 mg. sodium, 42 g. carbohydrate, 9 g. fiber, 6 g. protein