Chicken Tomatillo Casserole
Spice up your dinner with this easy chicken and tortilla casserole.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups prepared tomatillo salsa
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 12 9-inch corn tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, stir together the tomatillo salsa and sour cream until smooth. Set aside. In another small bowl, mix together the chicken, cilantro and half the cheese.
- Place a spoonful of the chicken mixture into each of the corn tortillas, then roll up or fold the filled tortillas and place into the casserole dish to form a single layer. Evenly pour the tomatillo-sour cream sauce over the top of the tortillas and sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until tortillas are heated through and the sauce is bubbly. Serve warm.
Make a meal of this family favorite with traditional Mexican rice and beans, tortilla chips and guacamole. For an extra special version, add a half cup of finely chopped, cooked chipotle-seasoned sausage to the chicken mix. Can’t find prepared tomatillo salsa? Substitute any salsa verde.
373 calories, 14 g. fat, 97 mg. cholesterol, 643 mg. sodium, 26 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 36 g. protein