Chicken Burrito with Chismol
Total Time: 1.5 hours; 30 minutes active
Marinated chicken is topped with queso fresco and chismol, a Honduran salsa similar to pico de gallo without the heat.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded thin or butterflied
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 2 ounces fresh spinach
- 2/3 to 1 cup queso fresco
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, shallots, oregano, garlic, black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt to make a marinade. Place chicken in a shallow glass or porcelain dish and cover with the marinade. Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 1 to 8 hours
- Prepare the chismol (see Note) one hour before serving. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, bell pepper, red onion, lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let this chismol sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Remove the chicken from the marinade (discard the marinade) and cook for 3 minutes per side or until juices run clear. Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest 5 minutes before slicing it into 1/4" strips.
- In the center third of each tortilla, layer the rice, spinach, chicken, chismol, avocado and queso fresco. Fold in the bottom side and roll up. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, sour cream or picante.
934 calories, 24 g. fat, 110 mg. cholesterol, 910 mg. sodium, 123 g. carbohydrate, 11 g. fiber, 54 g. protein