Total Time: 30 minutes
These flavorful chickpeas are quick and easy; a perfect meal served with rice or naan bread and veggies on the side.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seed
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced (1 large)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, diced fine
- 1/2 cup ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons garam masala spice blend
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 (15-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 12 ounces filtered water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat the canola oil on medium-high heat in a sauce pan. Add the cumin seeds and let sizzle for about 15 seconds; then add the onions.
- Sauté for about 5-10 minutes, until edges start to brown. Add jalapenos, garlic, and ginger, and sauté for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and garam masala and cook until dark and thick, about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add cilantro and all remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Season to taste.
Per Serving: 345 calories, 13g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 45g carbohydrates, 31g dietary fiber, 34g protein 546 mg sodium