Total Time: 60 minutes
Kids will love making and eating these fun and healthy carrot cookies!
- 1 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon carrot juice
- 1 teaspoon liquid chlorophyll
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375. Grease two baking sheets.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, mix together the applesauce, honey, egg, and vanilla. Add the 1 cup carrots, oats, and flour mixture to the large bowl. Mix well.
- Put a spoonful of batter on the baking sheet. Shape the batter into a long triangle for the carrot. Shape leaves from the batter at the end of the carrot. Flatten the cookie. Make more carrot-shaped cookies with the remaining batter. Bake 14 minutes. Let cool.
- To make the frosting, mix the cream cheese, honey, and vanilla together in a bowl. Divide the mixture into two bowls. Put 3/4th of the mixture into one bowl and 1/4th of the mixture into the other bowl. Add the carrot juice to the bowl with 3/4th of the cream cheese mixture. Add the liquid chlorophyll to the other bowl. Stir both bowls.
- Put the green frosting in a plastic bag. Cut off the corner of the bag. Frost the leaves. Put the orange frosting in a plastic bag. Cut off the corner of the bag. Frost the carrots. Optional: top the orange frosting with the 1/2 cup shredded carrots.
- Chill the cookies for 10 minutes.
211 calories, 4 g. fat, 33 mg. cholesterol, 276 mg. sodium, 41 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 3 g. protein