Butterflied Grilled Chicken with a Chile-Lime Rub
This tasty chile-lime rub imparts exceptional flavor for this grilled chicken.
- 3 tablespoons chile powder, preferably New Mexico chile, or Hungarian paprika
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken
- Combine chile powder (or paprika) and oil in a small bowl with lime zest and juice, garlic, coriander, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cinnamon to form a wet paste.
- Using kitchen shears, cut the chicken down one side of the backbone, through the ribs. Make an identical cut on the opposite side to remove the backbone completely; discard (or reserve it for stock). Place the chicken cut-side down and flatten with the heel of your hand. Generously smear the spice rub under and over the skin and on the interior of the bird. Place in a nonreactive baking dish (see Tip). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat half the grill to medium-high (or build a medium-high heat fire on one side of a charcoal grill); leave the other half unheated. Have a squirt bottle of water ready by the grill.
- Leave all the spice rub on the chicken. Place the chicken skin-side down over the heat and grill until the skin begins to color and char marks form, about 5 minutes. (Extinguish any flare-ups with the squirt bottle.) Flip over and grill 5 minutes more. Move the chicken to the unheated side. Close the lid and cook, making sure the chicken is flat against the grate, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh without touching bone registers 165°F, 30 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a platter and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before carving.
Calories: 214, Carbohydrates: 4 g., Fat: 9 mg., Saturated Fat: 2 mg., Monounsaturated Fat: 5 mg., Protein: 28 mg., Cholesterol: 88 g., Fiber: 2 g., Postassium: mg., Sodium: 422 mg., Added Sugars: 0 mg.