Broccoli Cheddar Frittata
Total Time:50 minutes total; 20 minutes active
There is nothing quite as easy and versatile as a frittata, which is delicious for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, served hot or cold. It's a great make-ahead dish, too, slices are easy to pack in a lunch, or reheat in the microwave. You can even stuff it in a sandwich!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups broccoli florets, packed
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 9 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a pie pan with a teaspoon of the oil, then pour the remaining oil in a large sauté pan. Put the pan over high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and when it sizzles, reduce heat to medium. Sauté until tender, then add the broccoli. Stir and cook for just a minute, the broccoli will be crisp-tender. Add the thyme, salt and hot sauce and stir. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Stir in the sautéed mixture, and half the grated cheese and transfer to the pie pan. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden and puffed. Serve warm, or chilled.
188 Calories, 12 g. fat, 280 mg. cholesterol, 347 mg. sodium, 8 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 13 g. protein