Brined Pork Chops with Gingered Apples
Total Time:45 minutes active; 4-6 hours to brine
These succulent, flavorful pork chops are made even more so with the addition of gingered apples.
- 4 bone-in thick-cut pork chops
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon spice rub (see below)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons table salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 cups water
- 6-8 ice cubes
- Mix the brine ingredients in a large container, and submerge the pork chops in brine. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours. Prepare spice rub while the pork is brining (reserving 1 teaspoon to season the apples). Remove the chops from the brine and blot dry with paper towels. Rub with spice rub and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions until softened, then add apples, ginger, wine, water, 1 teaspoon of spice rub, and a pinch of salt. Cook for about 15 minutes until apples are soft. Turn off the heat and reserve.
- While the apples cook, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in an extra large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the pork chops in the pan and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side until well browned. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover skillet and cook for a few more minutes. Use a thermometer to test the pork chops and remove them from the pan when they reach 155 degrees F.
- Add the applesauce to the skillet and heat through, scraping up the bits off the bottom of the pan. Place each chop on a serving plate, and divide the sauce evenly among the chops.
Accompany the pork chops with garlic mashed potatoes garnished with some fresh chopped rosemary or chives, and a mug of warm mulled cider.
Calories: 478, Fat: 28 g, Cholesterol: 101 mg, Sodium: 254 mg, Carbohydrate: 9 g, Dietary Fiber: 1 g, Protein: 39 g