Breakfast Pita Pizza
Total Time:30 minutes, 15 minutes active
A hearty breakfast transforms into a pizza, making it even more popular with kids. This pizza can easily be made vegetarian by skipping the sausage, or using a meatless alternative.
- 4 medium whole-wheat pita breads, fat-free
- 2 ounces uncooked bulk breakfast sausage
- 1 teaspoon oil, if needed
- 10 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup coarsely chopped tomatoes
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place the pita breads on a sheet pan, reserve. In a large skillet, cook the breakfast sausage, crumbling it with a spatula as it cooks (if using turkey or other lean sausage you may need a teaspoon of oil to keep it from sticking). Cook until the sausage crumbles are completely cooked and browned, about 3 minutes. Pour off any excess fat, if necessary.
- Add the eggs, salt and pepper to the pan and scramble over medium heat, scraping and turning. Don't cook completely, just until soft, wet curds are formed. Take off the heat and fold in the tomatoes and cheddar cheese, then divide in four portions and pile it on the pitas.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the bread is crisp and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
482 calories, 23 g. fat, 552 mg. cholesterol, 871 mg. sodium, 38 g. carbohydrate, 5 g. fiber, 30 g. protein