Total Time:25 minutes
Servings:4, about 1 1/4 cups each
A salad version of America’s favorite sandwich. Shredded tomato is the base for a creamy tomato-and-chive dressing.
- 1 cup cubed whole-wheat country bread
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium tomatoes, divided
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced chives, or scallion greens
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 5 cups chopped hearts of romaine lettuce
- 3 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss bread with oil and spread on a baking sheet. Bake, turning once, until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut 1 tomato in half. Working over a large bowl, shred both halves using the large holes on a box grater. Discard the skin. Add mayonnaise, chives (or scallion greens), vinegar, garlic powder and pepper; whisk to combine.
- Chop the remaining 3 tomatoes. Add the tomatoes, romaine and croutons to the bowl with the dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon.
Calories: 142, Carbohydrates: 18 g., Fat: 6 mg., Saturated Fat: 1 mg., Monounsaturated Fat: 3 mg., Protein: 5 mg., Cholesterol: 5 g., Fiber: 3 g., Postassium: mg., Sodium: 318 mg., Added Sugars: 0 mg.