Black Rice and Almond Salad
Black Rice is a nice change from brown, adding some drama to the plate, as well as a uniquely sweet and earthy flavor. For a little more crunch, add a cup of shelled edamame, and call it a meal.
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 scallion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan, then add the black rice. Return to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cook for 25 minutes, then check to see if the water is all absorbed. If not, cook for about 5 minutes more. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes to finish steaming
- In a large bowl, combine the scallion, carrot, celery and red bell pepper. In a small bowl, whisk the honey, tamari, rice vinegar and oil. Add the cooled rice to the veggies, drizzle the tamari mixture over it, and toss to mix. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with the almonds. Serve at room temperature, or chill and serve cold.
263 calories, 21 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 386 mg. sodium, 52 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 6 g. protein