Black-Eyed Pea and Edamame Succotash
A delicious hearty side or main dish salad. Serve with soup, green salad and whole wheat rolls to round out the meal.
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup edamame, shelled, frozen
- 1 cup sweet corn, frozen
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped (about 3 scallions)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons smooth Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Pinch cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon chili power
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 chicken or turkey sausages (optional)
- Place oil in a large pan and sauté onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add black-eyed peas, frozen corn and frozen edamame. Stir until frozen vegetables are thawed. Remove from heat.
- Combine honey, mustard, vinegar, cinnamon, chili powder, and chives, and whisk to make dressing.
- Stir all ingredients together with the dressing.
- Prepare the sausage links according to directions.
- Serve sausages with succotash on the side.
Add additional vegetables, such as mushrooms or carrots, for a more substantial salad. Serve with a hearty soup, green salad, and bread or rolls.
Per Serving: 303 calories, 11 g fat, 60 mg cholesterol, 34 g carbohydrates, 10 g dietary fiber, 22 g protein, 729 mg sodium