Roasted beets are delightful, sweet but very earthy and aromatic—delicious in this side salad.
- 2 pounds beets, (5-6 medium)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Divide beets between 2 pieces of foil; bring edges together and crimp to make packets. Roast until the beets are just tender when pierced with the point of a knife, about 1 1/4 hours. Unwrap the beets and let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl to make dressing.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, slip off the skins. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes and place in a large bowl. Add celery, shallot and the dressing; toss to coat well. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Calories: 119, Carbohydrates: 12 g., Fat: 7 mg., Saturated Fat: 1 mg., Monounsaturated Fat: 5 mg., Protein: 2 mg., Cholesterol: 0 g., Fiber: 3 g., Postassium: mg., Sodium: 243 mg., Added Sugars: 0 mg.