Watermelon Feta Appetizers
Sweet, juicy watermelon, tangy balsamic sauce and savory feta are delightful in this simple, elegant appetizer.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon raspberry preserves
- Dash each of onion powder,
- freshly-ground black pepper
- and sea salt
- 1 pound seedless watermelon, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 ounces feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chiffonade
- Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, raspberry preserves, onion powder, pepper and salt in a small bowl until sauce becomes smooth. In a small saucepan, heat the sauce over medium heat until bubbling. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring regularly, until the sauce is reduced by half and becomes syrupy, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Using toothpicks or appetizer skewers, stack a piece of feta between two pieces of watermelon on each toothpick. Place each stack neatly on a platter, and sprinkle with basil. Drizzle the raspberry balsamic sauce over the watermelon-feta stacks before serving.
Accompany these colorful and light appetizers with tall glasses of sparkling water spiked with lemonade, or a semi-sweet Prosecco. In a hurry? Use raspberry balsamic vinegar for the sauce; just cook in a small saucepan over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes until it is reduced to the consistency of a sauce.
150 calories, 12 g. fat, 25 mg. cholesterol, 320 mg. sodium, 8 g. carbohydrate, 0 g. fiber, 5 g. protein