Vietnamese Tofu-Noodle Lettuce Wraps
Total Time:25 minutes
Servings:4, 2 wraps each
Here we toss rice noodles with crunchy vegetables, fresh herbs, tofu and a light, sweet, tart and salty Vietnamese dressing flavored with fish sauce and wrap the mixture in lettuce leaves. For a vegetarian version, use reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari in place of the fish sauce. Pass the mixture, lettuce leaves and sauce separately so everyone can make their own wraps.
- 2 ounces thin rice noodles, or rice sticks
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 ounces firm or extra-firm seasoned tofu, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed and very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 8 large leaves green-leaf lettuce
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add rice noodles (or rice sticks) and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Gently squeeze noodles to remove most of the water.
- Meanwhile, combine 1/4 cup water, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and crushed red pepper to taste in a small bowl.
- Coarsely chop the noodles and combine in a large bowl with tofu, carrot, snow peas, basil and mint. Pour the sauce over the salad and toss to combine. To serve, spoon about 1/2 cup salad onto each lettuce leaf and roll up.
Calories: 197, Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 747 mg, Carbohydrate: 23 g, Dietary Fiber: 2 g, Protein: 14 g