Vegetable Salad Rolls
These refreshing spring rolls transform salad and a little tofu into tasty finger food while a savory peanut dipping sauce boosts the flavor further. If you've never used rice wrappers before, don't let them intimidate (you can do it, really!). And once you try it, you'll find they're actually quite easy to use.
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 2 large scallions, slivered
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, torn
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce, to taste
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 6 large romaine leaves, torn
- 8 ounces pre-baked tofu, chopped
- 16 pieces rice paper wrappers, approximately
Peanut Hoisin Sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce, to taste
- Set up your area for assembling the spring rolls. Fill a lasagna-sized pan with an inch of warm water. Spread a clean, dry kitchen towel on a cutting board or counter next to the water.
- To assemble rolls, submerge two rice paper sheets in the water and gently press down. Once parts are a flexible but not completely limp (30-60 seconds, depending on the thickness of your brand of wrapper) carefully stack the two sheets, making one round, on the towel. Put a layer of lettuce across the bottom third of the round, put 1/8 of the tofu on that and 1/8 of the carrot mixture. Fold the wrappers in from the sides, up from bottom, then roll up. Place on dry towel and cover with a damp towel. It is important that they be kept moist, they dry out quickly. Repeat to create 8 rolls total. If holding to serve in more than an hour, wrap tightly in plastic (see Tip). Slice into 6 pieces per roll, and serve with dipping sauce.
Peanut Hoisin Sauce
- In a small bowl, stir the hoisin sauce, peanut butter, water and sriracha sauce. Serve with the spring rolls.
Tips & Notes
When storing in the refrigerator, keep the rolls from touching one another to prevent the rice paper from sticking and tearing.
Calories: 389, Fat: 13 g, Cholesterol: 3 mg, Sodium: 902 mg, Carbohydrate: 52 g, Dietary Fiber: 15 g, Protein: 23 g