Thai Shrimp Soup
This is one of our High Five recipes, made from five main ingredients or less. Simplify your life with more delicious High Five recipes.
Keep the ingredients for this easy dish in the pantry, and you will have a genuinely delicious dish ready to go on a busy weeknight. Frozen shrimp defrost quickly under running water, so keep a bag on hand to make an exotic Thai curry anytime.
The High Five
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 medium lime, halved
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
Pantry and Kitchen Items
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large pot, combine the coconut milk and stock, and whisk in the curry paste. Add the halved lime and salt, and place over high heat to bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to keep the liquid boiling but not boiling over, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and reduce the heat to gently simmer for about 4 minutes longer. As soon as the shrimp are pink, take off the heat and serve.
Serve this easy Thai soup with steamed rice for a heartier meal. The soup base is flexible – add sliced steamed veggies or cooked chicken or tofu for variations on a theme! Garnish soup with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro and scallions for a splash of color and a flavor boost.
220 calories, 10 g. fat, 145 mg. cholesterol, 1260 mg. sodium, 10 g. carbohydrate, 0 g. fiber, 18 g. protein