Thai Cucumber Salad with Peanuts
A simple and refreshing cucumber salad.
- 2 pounds (about 3 large) cucumbers, split lengthwise, seeded, and sliced into 1/4-inch crescents*
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large glass or stainless steel bowl, combine all vegetables. Add dressing and toss. Let sit at least 1 hour, mixing occasionally.
- Add peanuts just before serving and stir to combine.
Garnish with extra peanuts or cilantro sprigs, or serve on a bed of fresh kale.
Tips & Notes
Preparation Tips: Make this recipe oil-free by eliminating the canola oil and increasing the vinegar to 1/2 cup and sugar to 1 tablespoon to tame the tartness. Control the spiciness by eliminating the peppers, or for an extra spicy version, use spicy roasted peanuts for an extra spicy version. If using cucumbers with small seeds (such as pickling cucumbers), removing the seeds is not necessary.
Make Ahead Tips: This refreshing, warm-weather salad is best served cold the day it is made, but you can make it up to 2 days in advance and store in the refrigerator. To preserve texture, store the vegetables and dressing separately, and combine them one hour before serving.
189 calories, 16 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 104 mg. sodium, 11 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 4 g. protei