Indian-style grilled shrimp is flavored with a delicious combination of spices and accompanied by a yogurt dipping sauce.
- 1 cup plain yogurt, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small lime, zest and juice
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 3 teaspoons garam masala, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds tail-on medium/large shrimp (25-30)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Pinch each of salt and black pepper
- 6 wooden skewers, soaked in water
- In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup of yogurt, ginger, garlic, 1 teaspoon lime zest, paprika, chili powder, cumin, coriander and 2 teaspoons of garam masala. Add shrimp, mix well to coat and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 to 60 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining yogurt, turmeric, cilantro, 1 tablespoon lime juice and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and loosely thread them onto the skewers. Place on the grill and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side until shrimp are opaque. Serve warm with yogurt dipping sauce on the side.
Add a sweet or spicy prepared chutney along with the yogurt sauce for dipping. Serve with a side of curry-seasoned chickpea salad or basmati rice pilaf for a light meal, accompanied by pappadam or naan. Broil the shrimp on a foil-lined baking sheet for about 5 minutes if a grill is not available.
144 calories, 4 g. fat, 152 mg. cholesterol, 689 mg. sodium, 8 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 19 g. protein