Sweet Potato Bread
Sweet potatoes show off their versatility in this deliciously moist sweet bread, where traditional pumpkin bread spices are equally at home.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, allspice and cinnamon together.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the sugars and vegetable oil until the sugars are dissolved and smooth. Add the vanilla and mashed sweet potatoes and blend well. Stir in half of the flour mixture. Add the water and eggs and stir well. Add the remaining flour mixture and blend well. Pour into the loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour. Test for doneness by poking the center of the loaf with a skewer or toothpick. The skewer should come out clean. Let the loaf rest for about 15 minutes before turning it out of the pan.
This quick bread goes well with milk, chai tea or coffee as a mid-day treat. Try a slice with a smear of cream cheese and some fresh fruit for breakfast.
Calories: 286, Fat: 12 g, Cholesterol: 42 mg, Sodium: 221 mg, Carbohydrate: 42 g, Dietary Fiber: 2 g, Protein: 4 g