Spring rolls are a fun and delicious way to enjoy a wide variety of fresh produce—and leftovers—you have on hand.
- 1 package spring roll wrappers (see Tip)
- 1 pound tofu or leftover cooked meat
- 2 cups cooked rice or wild rice
- 3 cups assorted veggies, such as:
- kale, shredded cooked or raw
- spinach, cooked or raw
- carrots, shredded or thinly sliced
- cucumbers, seeded and thinly sliced
- kohlrabi, peeled and thinly sliced or shredded
- cabbage, shredded cooked or raw
- green onions, thinly sliced
- red peppers, thinly sliced
- cilantro, chopped
- Sesame Orange Sauce or Maple Dijon Sauce
- Place all filling ingredients in separate bowls or on large baking sheet
- Fill a separate baking sheet or large pie pan with 1/2-1” of warm water, and place 2 damp kitchen towels unfolded on either side of baking sheet. One at a time, place dried spring roll wrappers in the water for about 30 seconds (you can move it around or just let it sit). Remove the spring roll wrapper and place it on one of the towels (which will soak up some of the extra water).
- Place your desired fillings (about 2 tablespoons rice, handful of veggies and 1/4 cup protein) on bottom third of wrapper closest to you. Roll the bottom of wrapper over the fillings (away from you) and pull the roll back towards you to tighten the wrap over the fillings. Fold in the right and left ends and roll the wrap away from you—just like a burrito—to complete. Repeat with the remaining wrappers.
- Serve with Sesame Orange Sauce or Maple Dijon Sauce for dipping.
Tips & Notes
Find spring roll wrappers in the Asian food section of your co-op or Asian grocer. This recipe is included in Molly's article, Expanding your Child’s Palate. If you've got kids, invite them to get involved in the preparation. Here's what kids can do: mix the wrap filling, place wrappers in the water, spoon the ingredients onto the rehydrated wrappers. Kids love feeling the wrappers rehydrate!
424 calories, 7 g. fat, 64 mg. cholesterol, 369 mg. sodium, 60 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 31 g. protein