- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 8 ounces prepared salsa verde
- 2 (15-ounce) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 (15-ounce) cans cooked beans (Great Northern or your choice)
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh, frozen, or canned
- In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft not browned. Add the cumin, chili powder, coriander, and oregano and sauté 1 minute more.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes, and salsa verde. Bring to a boil, then simmer 10 minutes. Add the beans and corn and simmer 10 minutes more, or until desired thickness. Salt and pepper to taste.
Tips & Notes
Ingredient Note: Meat eaters can add up to 2 cups of cooked chicken or sausage at the same time as the beans.
Serving Tip: Serve with your favorite Southwestern toppings, such as lime juice, cheese, cilantro, sour cream, guacamole, or tortilla chips.