Spice Blend Vinaigrette
Lightly sautéing dried herbs brings out their flavor in this aromatic and delicious dressing.
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice berries
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Coarsely grind or crush spices in a spice grinder, mortar and pestle or pepper grinder.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a small sauté pan over medium-low heat and add all the spices. Stir to bloom the flavors, about 1 minute (don’t let them burn!); remove from the heat and cool. Combine with remaining oil, vinegar and mint; blend well.
Try this vinaigrette with New Potato and Green Bean Salad.
184 calories, 19 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 601 mg. sodium, 4 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 1 g. protein