Shrimp & Cheddar Grits
An easy weeknight meal: creamy polenta topped with broiled shrimp and scallions.
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup quick grits, (not instant)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup extra-sharp or sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp, (16-20 per pound)
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in grits and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, toss shrimp, scallions, oil, garlic powder, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Broil, stirring once, until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Serve the grits topped with the broiled shrimp and scallions.
Calories: 354, Carbohydrates: 27 g., Fat: 13 mg., Saturated Fat: 5 mg., Monounsaturated Fat: 3 mg., Protein: 32 mg., Cholesterol: 195 g., Fiber: 1 g., Postassium: mg., Sodium: 611 mg., Added Sugars: mg.