Savory Noodle Kugel with Leeks and Mushrooms
Enjoy this rich Kugel with sweet potato latkes, lentil soup or fattoush. For a traditional version, use egg noodles.
- 8 ounces linguini noodles, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups leeks, cleaned and sliced (about 2 thin leeks)
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish. Cook the noodles in boiling water for 5-6 minutes, until just al dente. Drain and rinse noodles.
- While the noodles are cooking, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the leeks for a few minutes and then add the mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked noodles, sautéed vegetables, eggs, sour cream, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of paprika. Pour into the casserole dish, sprinkle with the remaining paprika, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 10-15 minutes to brown the top. Serve hot.
Typically served as a side dish, enjoy this rich Kugel with sweet potato latkes, lentil soup or fattoush, which is a Middle-Eastern chopped vegetable salad.
Tips & Notes
Substitute egg noodles for the linguini for a more traditional Kugel.
183 calories, 8 g. fat, 81 mg. cholesterol, 207 mg. sodium, 21 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 7 g. protein