This Salsa Verde from Deborah Madison’s book, Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, is great to use on beets—any color, any style. This recipe uses citrus zest and juice, plus tarragon vinegar, but these are flavors and components you can play with. Dill, for example, is also a great match for beets.
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- Finely grated zest of 1 large lemon or 1 orange
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon citrus or orange juice
- Tarragon vinegar, to taste
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Combine the parsley and capers in a bowl. Finely dice half the slivered orange zest and add it to the bowl along with the shallot. Stir in the oil, mustard, orange juice, then add the vinegar to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve over cooked vegetables (including diced steamed or roasted beets), meat, poultry or fish.
Calories: 82, Fat: 9 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 57 mg, Carbohydrate: 1 g, Dietary Fiber: 0 g, Protein: 0 g