Don’t let this fancy-looking breaded-salmon pinwheel intimidate, it’s quite easy to make. This technique works best when you use "center-cut" salmon fillet. If you don’t have a center-cut fillet or want to simplify the preparation, leave the fillet whole, spread the mayonnaise over it, top with the breadcrumb mixture and bake. To cut down on prep time, ask your fishmonger to skin the salmon for you.
- 1/2 cup coarse dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped rinsed capers
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 1/4 pounds center-cut salmon fillet, skinned and cut lengthwise into 4 strips
- 4 teaspoons low-fat mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix breadcrumbs, oil, mustard, shallot, lemon juice, capers and thyme in a small bowl until combined.
- Working with one at a time, spread 1 teaspoon mayonnaise on a salmon strip. Spread about 3 tablespoons of the breadcrumb mixture over the mayonnaise. Starting at one end, roll the salmon up tightly, tucking in any loose filling as you go. Insert a toothpick though the end to keep the pinwheel from unrolling. Place in the prepared dish. Repeat with the remaining salmon strips.
- Bake the pinwheels until just cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the toothpicks before serving.
Serve with garlic-rosemary roasted potatoes and wilted spinach.
Tips & Notes
Ingredient note: Use prepared breadcrumbs or, make your own breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear the bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Spread the breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry and crispy, about 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs.
Calories: 377, Carbohydrates: 8 g., Fat: 23 mg., Saturated Fat: 5 mg., Monounsaturated Fat: 8 mg., Protein: 31 mg., Cholesterol: 78 g., Fiber: 1 g., Postassium: mg., Sodium: 221 mg., Added Sugars: mg.