Salmon Nicoise Salad
This popular whole meal salad—featuring salmon instead of the traditional tuna—is hearty and always delicious.
- 1 pound fresh salmon fillets
- Pinch of salt, pepper, and garlic powder for seasoning fish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound red-skinned potatoes
- 3/4 pound green beans, trimmed
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered or sliced
- 1/2 red onion, julienned into thin strips
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, drained
- 1/2 pound fresh tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Place salmon on an oiled baking sheet pan, skin side down. Sprinkle the fish with salt, pepper and garlic powder, and drizzle with olive oil. Bake 7-10 minutes until the salmon reaches desired doneness. Set aside to cool. Remove the skin and chop the fish into large pieces.
- While the salmon is cooking, boil the potatoes whole in a large pot of salted water for 13-15 minutes until just tender. Drain and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, cut potatoes into quarters.
- In a medium stockpot, bring 3 inches of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for 3 minutes, remove from heat, drain and immerse in cold water to cool. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the minced garlic, Dijon mustard, vinegar, lemon zest and juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange the pieces of salmon, potatoes, green beans, eggs, red onion slices, Kalamata olives, and tomato wedges on a large platter. Pour the dressing over the arranged platter and serve family style.
Use 12 ounces of cold smoked salmon in place of the fresh salmon to speed the preparation time, or delete the fish altogether to make it a vegetarian meal. Plan ahead and cook extra potatoes and green beans earlier in the week; then this salad comes together in a matter of minutes.
Calories: 316, Fat: 14 g, Cholesterol: 194 mg, Sodium: 301 mg, Carbohydrate: 21 g, Dietary Fiber: 5 g, Protein: 28 g