Roasted Squash and Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese
Total Time: 45 minutes, 15 minutes active
Sweet roasted squash, with savory goat cheese and earthy lentils makes a tasty and satisfying dish.
- 1 cup French lentils
- 1 pound acorn squash
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 ounces arugula, about 4 cups
- 2 ounces chevre cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- In a one quart pot, measure the lentils and cover with plenty of water' it should be about three inches above the level of the lentils. Over high heat, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 minutes, until the lentils are just tender, but not falling apart. Drain and rinse gently with cool water, and let the lentils cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds, then cut the squash in wedges. Peel then cut in bite-sized cubes. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, then toss to coat. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until the squash is tender when pierced with a paring knife, Cool on a rack.
- In a small bowl or cup, whisk the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, red wine vinegar, remaining salt and black pepper. Put the lentils in a large bowl and drizzle with the oil mixture, toss gently to coat.
- To serve, use either four medium plates or one big platter. Spread the arugula on the plates, then measure 1/2 cup of lentils on top of each, then top with crumbled chevre and toasted pumpkin seeds. Serve at room temperature.
Calories: 461, Fat: 22 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Sodium: 524 mg, Carbohydrate: 43 g, Dietary Fiber: 18 g, Protein: 22 g