Roasted Pears and Carrots
Roasting brings out the natural sweetness in this simple and irresistible side.
- 4 carrots, peeled (optional), halved and cut into sticks
- 2 pears, halved, cored and cut into small wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper, more to taste if desired
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place pears and carrots on baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil and a splash or two of balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat thoroughly. Spread evenly into a single layer on baking sheet.
- Roast in oven until carrots are still firm and pears are tender about 20 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Turn this dish into a more grown-up side or salad for entertaining by adding some crumbled blue cheese and/or toasted walnuts!
Tips & Notes
This recipe is included in Molly's article, Expanding your Child’s Palate. If you've got kids, invite them to get involved in the preparation. Here's what kids can do:
- peel carrots (optional)
- toss with seasonings
- spread on baking sheet
94 calories, 4 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 229 mg. sodium, 16 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 1 g. protein