Recharging Robot Lunch
Total Time: 15 minutes
Everyone will love grabbing a bite from this fun and super healthy sandwich!
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread
- 1/4 cup red pepper or plain hummus (see Tip below for Red Pepper Hummus recipe)
- 1/4 avocado, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup plus one small slice of chopped red onion or bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro or shredded lettuce
- 1/4 cup carrots, sliced into rounds
- 1 stalk celery
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into half-circles
- 1 radish, sliced
- 2 green beans
- 2 sunflower seeds
- Cut two slices of bread into 3 1/2-by-3-inch rectangles. Cut two slices of bread into 2-inch squares.
- Spread hummus on one rectangle slice and one square slice.
- Toss the avocado, lime juice, and chopped red onion or bell pepper in a bowl. Spread the mixture over the hummus. Sprinkle the cilantro or lettuce on top.
- Top each covered bread slice with the same size bread slice. Place the sandwiches on a plate with the small sandwich above the large sandwich.
- Place two radish slices on the smaller sandwich. Top each with a sunflower seed for the eyes.
- Use the small slice of onion or bell pepper for the mouth. Place it under the eyes above the zucchini slice.
Arms & Body
- Cut two celery sticks 3 inches long. Put one on each side of the body for the arms. Put a zucchini slice at the end of each celery stick for the hands.
- Arrange carrot rounds on the body. Slice one green bean into thin rounds and place them on top of the carrot rounds.
- Use wooden skewers for the legs. Stick a cherry tomato on each skewer. Cut two 1/2-inch-long pieces of celery. Put a piece of celery on each skewer. Put another cherry tomato on each skewer. Put a zucchini slice at the end of each skewer for the feet.
- Stick the skewers into the bottom of the body, into the hummus-avocado mixture.
Tips & Notes
- Use hummus to stick the veggies to the sandwich.
- Make your own easy red pepper hummus! Put the following ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth!
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
490 calories, 16 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 640 mg. sodium, 76 g. carbohydrate, 18 g. fiber, 18 g. protein