Quinoa, Squash and Cheddar Casserole
This is one of our High Five recipes, made from five main ingredients or less. Simplify your life with more delicious High Five recipes.
This easy casserole is a pantry champ, requiring only that you cook some quinoa and shred some cheddar cheese. The secret ingredient that makes it delicious is boxed creamy squash soup, which is already seasoned and pureed to make a luscious sauce.
The High Five
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups packaged creamy squash soup
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Pantry and Kitchen Items
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400⁰F. Lightly oil a 2-quart baking dish and reserve.
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil over high heat. Add the quinoa and return to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 14 minutes. When all the water is absorbed, take the pan off the heat and let stand, uncovered.
- Stir in the chickpeas, corn, sage, salt and pepper, then pour in the squash soup and mix well to combine. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish and cover with cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown. Let cool on a rack for at least five minutes before serving.
A crisp green salad is the perfect accompaniment to this hearty and comforting whole grain casserole. Leftovers keep well for up to one week, making it a perfect make-ahead dinner or take-to-the-office lunch.
230 calories, 9 g. fat, 20 mg. cholesterol, 470 mg. sodium, 28 g. carbohydrate, 5 g. fiber, 11 g. protein