Quinoa Salad with Sweet Potatoes and Peppers
Total Time:30 minutes
Quinoa has such a nutty, mild flavor making it a natural fit for pairing with sweet vegetables and a touch of honey.
- 1 1/2 cups cubed sweet potato, about 9 ounces
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 4 large scallion, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cut the sweet potato in 3/4-inch cubes, so they cook evenly. In a one-quart pan, combine the sweet potato, quinoa, water and salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce the heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes. The water should be absorbed, and the sweet potato should be tender when pierced with a knife. If the sweet potato is not soft, add a few tablespoons water and leave on low heat, covered, for 5 more minutes, then test again. Keep covered and allow the quinoa and sweet potato cool.
- Chop the pepper and scallions. In a cup or small bowl, whisk the honey, lemon and olive oil. Once the quinoa and sweet potato mixture is cooled, add the bell pepper, scallions, dressing, and freshly ground black pepper. Toss to mix. Serve at room temperature or chill and serve. Keeps up to a week in the refrigerator.
Calories: 136, Fat: 5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 167 mg, Carbohydrate: 21 g, Dietary Fiber: 2 g, Protein: 2 g