Pumpkin-Cocoa Roll Cake with Chevre Filling
Pumpkin and chocolate are a delicious pairing, with the sweet, rich pumpkin providing a perfect base for the complex flavors of cocoa. The chevre cheese filling adds a tangy, sophisticated richness to the whole affair. Rolling the cake is easy, just make sure that you dust your towel with plenty of sugar, so that it doesn't stick.
- Approximately 1/2 cup powdered sugar for the towel and topping
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 10 ounces chevre cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 15 x 10 x 1/2-inch jelly roll pan, line it with parchment paper, then grease the paper. Reserve. Put a smooth kitchen towel on the counter and sprinkle about 1/4 cup of powdered sugar over it, in the shape of the jelly roll pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a stand mixer or a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the eggs and brown sugar until mixed, then turn the mixer to high and beat for two minutes. The mixture will be light and fluffy. Beat in the pumpkin, then the flour mixture, just until smooth. Scrape the batter onto the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out dry. Take the pan out and let cool for five minutes, then place the edge of the pan on the edge of the sugar-coated towel, then quickly tip over to drop the cake on the sugar. Peel off the paper, then sprinkle with more sugar, then gently roll the cake up. Place the rolled cake on a cooling rack for an hour, until room temperature.
- While the cake cools, combine the chevre cheese and butter in the stand mixer or large bowl and beat until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until well mixed and creamy. Scrape down and beat until fluffy. Chill for at least half an hour.
- Unroll the cake, then spread the chevre mixture over the cake, leaving a couple of inches bare at the end that will form the outer seam. Roll up from the covered end, then carefully transfer to a platter. Chill for at least an hour, then dust with powdered sugar.
241 calories, 5 g. fat, 71 mg. cholesterol, 309 mg. sodium, 33 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 6 g. protein