No-Bake Macaroni & Cheese
An ultra-creamy version of mac-and-cheese that's nearly as fast as the boxed variety. If you're not a broccoli fan, substitute a frozen vegetable of your choice.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat elbow noodles, (2 cups)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 3/4 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta for 4 minutes. Add frozen broccoli and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the pasta and broccoli are just tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 cups milk in another large pot over medium-high heat until just simmering. Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup milk, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl until combined. Add the flour mixture to the simmering milk; return to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in Cheddar, Parmesan and mustard until the cheese is melted.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli and add to the cheese sauce. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat, until heated through, about 1 minute.
Calories: 412, Carbohydrates: 56 g., Fat: 13 mg., Saturated Fat: 7 mg., Monounsaturated Fat: 1 mg., Protein: 22 mg., Cholesterol: 37 g., Fiber: 7 g., Postassium: mg., Sodium: 640 mg., Added Sugars: mg.