Mustard and Fried Tempeh Sandwich
If you've never tried tempeh before, this dish will show you what you've been missing. Creole flavors, spicy mustard, and the earthy, satisfying flavor of tempeh, all wrapped into a warm tortilla, makes for a perfect sandwich for meat-eaters and vegetarians alike.
- 1 (8-ounce) tempeh patty
- 1/2 cup vegetable or corn oil
- 4 tortillas
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon each - basil, black pepper and salt
Creole Mustard Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons stone ground or Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, chopped
- Combine all the Creole Mustard Sauce ingredients and set aside.
- In a wide-bottom bowl, combine the flour, oregano, basil, chili powder, salt and pepper and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine the beaten egg and the yellow mustard.
- Slice the tempeh patty once across depth, then again horizontally, to make 4 thin patties. Cut again cross-wise into 1-inch wide pieces.
- Heat the oil to a large skillet over medium flame.
- Dredge all the patties in the flour mix, coat them with the mustard mix, and dredge in flour once more.
- Add coated tempeh pieces to the frying pan. Cook in heated oil over medium for 2 minutes on each side (or until golden), then flip. Cool on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Layer each tortilla with lettuce, tomato, tempeh, and Creole Mustard Sauce, and wrap.
Tips & Notes
Serving Tip: Serve with plenty of mustard sauce and a side of coleslaw, baked beans, or Romaine lettuce salad.
687 calories, 21 g. fat, 60 mg. cholesterol, 1095 mg. sodium, 89 g. carbohydrate, 13 g. fiber, 24 g. protein