Mixed Greens and Asiago Hoagie
This is one of our High Five recipes, made from five main ingredients or less. Simplify your life with more delicious High Five recipes.
Sandwiches can be a healthful, satisfying meal when you stuff them with an entire salad! Opt for a whole grain baguette—you will stay fuller longer and enjoy the hearty flavor. Purchased pesto makes this so easy, and tastes like summer in a jar.
The High Five
- 4 cups mixed greens, or spinach
- 2 tablespoons jarred pesto
- 2 8-inch baguette pieces
- 4 ounces Asiago cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
Pantry and Kitchen Items
- Season to taste, if desired
- Heat the broiler. Put the mixed greens in a medium bowl and add the pesto, tossing to coat.
- Slice the baguette pieces in half lengthwise, but not all the way through, so that they open like a book. Open them and place on a sheet pan, then cover the open bread with cheese slices. Place under the broiler just until the cheese is toasted, about a minute.
- Transfer the baguettes to plates and stuff with greens and tomato slices. Serve with a fork to pick up any extra greens that fall out.
For a satisfying lunch, pair this sandwich with a cup of tomato soup or sliced fresh fruit, like peaches or nectarines when in season.
570 calories, 16 g. fat, 40 mg. cholesterol, 1390 mg. sodium, 49 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 30 g. protein