Total Time: 45 minutes; 15 minutes active
Servings: 6 to 8 servings
A delicious way to use seasonal vegetables in virtually any season, this version celebrates fall's abundance of zucchini.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, halved and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 quart water
- 1 quart stock, vegetable or chicken
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 3 zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked rice (optional)
- 2 cups cooked pasta (optional)
- Croutons, for garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic and spices and sauté 3 minutes more.
- Add water, stock, tomatoes, and beans, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add vegetables. Simmer 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- If using, add rice or pasta. Garnish with croutons or Parmesan.
443 calories, 9 g. fat, 3 mg. cholesterol, 395 mg. sodium, 71 g. carbohydrate, 23 g. fiber, 23 g. protein